Water-Related News

What to do if your well is flooded

FDOH logo

EUSTIS – Heavy rainfall and flooding can make your tap water unsafe. If you are not sure about the safety of your well water, use commercially bottled water, disinfected water, or boiled and cooled water for drinking, making beverages or ice, cooking, brushing your teeth, washing dishes and washing recent wounds.

Use commercially bottled water for mixing baby formula

To be safe, you can disinfect tap water using the procedures below. Do not rely on unverified methods for decontaminating water. If water is cloudy, let it settle and filter it through a clean cloth, paper towel or coffee filter. This will help the disinfection process. If you have any extra water, put it in containers that were properly disinfected (see information below water disinfection).

The preferred method to disinfect water is to Boil Water.

  • Bring water to a rolling boil for at least one minute to kill harmful bacteria and parasites.
  • To improve the flat taste of boiled water, add one pinch of salt (depending upon health conditions) to each quart or liter of water, or pour the water from one clean container to another clean container several times.

If boiling is not possible, use Household Bleach.

  • Add eight drops of plain unscented household bleach (four to six percent strength), which is about 1/8 teaspoon or a dime sized puddle, per gallon of water.
  • Do not use color safe bleach or bleaches with added cleaners.
  • If a higher strength bleach is used (up to 8.25 percent strength), only add six drops of bleach.
  • Mix the solution and let it stand for 30 minutes.
  • If the water is cloudy after 30 minutes, repeat the procedure one time.
  • If the chlorine taste is too strong, pour the water from one clean container to another and let stand for a few hours before use.

It is also possible to use other Disinfection Methods. (see link below)